The article discusses within a health technology assessment context, the policy changes within the UK NHS Pathology Service in respect to manufacturing pricing and reimbursement for Point of Care Technologies (POCT) used for Cardiac Marker testing and how these strategies may be able to overcome adoption and implementation barriers.
|Publisher||Canon Communications LLC|
|Publication status||Published - 22 Jun 2011|
Bibliographical noteReference text: 1. Lord Darzi of Denham, “High Quality Care for All: NHS Next Stage Review,” Department of Health [cited 30 June 2008]; available from Internet: www.sdh.gov.uk/en/publicationandstatistics/publications/publicationspoli... 
2. T Russo, “UK Healthcare Reimbursement: A Market Report from the U.S. Commercial Service,” 2005 [cited 2 July 2005]; available from Internet: commercecan.ic.gc.ca/scdt/bizmap/interface2.nsf/vdownload/ISA_2805/$file/X_8252893.doc
3. F FitzGibbon, D Huckle, and BJ Meenan., “Barriers Affecting the Adoption of Point-of-Care Technologies Used in Chest Pain Diagnosis within the UK National Health Service: Part 2–Manufacturer Pricing and Reimbursement Policy Issues,” Point of Care: The Journal of Near Patient Testing and Technology 9, no.2 (2010): 80-90.
4. AJ Hamilton, et al., “Risk Stratification of Chest Pain Patients in the Emergency Department by a Nurse Utilizing a Point-of-Care Protocol,” European Journal of Emergency Medicine 15 (2008): 9-15.
5. S Robinson, et al., “Application of Synthetic Patient Data in the Assessment of Rapid Rule-out Protocols Using Point-of-Care Testing During Chest Pain Diagnosis in a UK Emergency Department,” Journal of Simulation 3 (2009):163-170.
6. Frost & Sullivan, “Market Engineering Research for the UK Acute Cardiac Diagnostics Markets: Forecast for the UK Total Acute Diagnostics Market,” No. B549-55, Frost & Sullivan Website [cited 1 August 2005]; available from Internet: www.healthcare.frost.com 
7. British In Vitro Diagnostics Association, “Independent Review of NHS Pathology Services: Response from Industry” [cited 27 January 2006]; available from Internet: www.bivda.co.uk/portals/0/path%20review%20BIVDA%20response%2027jan06vs2.doc 
8. Department of Health, “Report of the Review of the NHS Pathology Services in England” [cited 2 August 2006]; available from Internet: www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/d... 
9. Department of Health, Social Services, and Public Safety, “The Future of Pathology Services in Northern Ireland,” Department of Health, Social Services, and Public Safety Website [cited 28 November 2006]; available from Internet: www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/full_review_document_(pdf_1.40_mb).pdf
10. GH Beastall, “The Modernization of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine in the UK: Networking into the Future,” Clinical Biochemistry Review 29 (2008): 3-10.
11. D Huckle, “Point-of-Care Diagnostics: An Advancing Sector with Nontechnical Issues,” Expert Reviews Molecular Diagnostics 8, no.6 (2008): 679-688.
12. D Huckle, “Point-of-Care Diagnostics: Is this Driven by Supply or Demand?” Expert Opinion Medical Diagnostics 4, no.3 (2010): 189-200.
13. D Huckle, “Point-of-Care Diagnostics: Will the Hurdles be Overcome this Time?” Expert Review Medical Devices 3, no.4 (2006): 421-426.
14. NHS Purchasing and Supply Agency, “Selling to the NHS: A Guide to Suppliers” [cited 26 November 2007]; available from Internet: www.pasa.nhs.uk/pasaweb/supplierzone/sellingtotheNHS 
15. M Charny, “Reimbursement for Point-of-Care Diagnostics: Opportunities and Barriers,” presented to the Informa Market Access for Point-of-Care conference, Amsterdam [cited 20 May 2008]; available from Internet: www.informa-ls.com/POCT/docs 
16. M Galloway, “Making Sense of the Pathology Tariff: How Will it Work in Practice?,” paper presented to the Health Service Journal Pathology Modernization Conference, London, June 19, 2008 [cited 19 June 2008]; available from Internet: www.hsj-pathology.co.uk/homepage.asp 
17. Department of Health, “Healthcare Industry Task Force: Better Health Through Partnership, A Program for Action” [cited 17 November 2004]; available from Internet: www.dh.gov.uk/en/publicationandstatistics/publications/publicationspolic... 
18. SH Woolf and C Henshall, “Health Technology Assessment in the United Kingdom,” International Journal of Technology Assessment for Health Care 16, no.2 (2000): 591-625.
19. M Craven, “The MATCH Project,” ABHI Focus Magazine (2004): 15-16.
20. MP Craven, et al., “Deploying a Spreadsheet Tool for Early Economic Value Assessment of Medical Device Innovations with Healthcare Decision Makers,” Journal of Management & Marketing in Healthcare 2, no. 3 (2009): 278-292.
- Market Access
- Point of Care
- Cardiac Markers