Hip dislocation remains the most significant childhood orthopaedic abnormality despite the efforts of neonatal screening, first described in 1910. A new method of enhancing the performance of screening, the Belfast hip screener, is a non-invasive device developed to detect and interpret the vibrations (''clicks'' and ``clunks'') which are emitted as the hips are physically tested A progress report is presented covering ten years' work from early records made with tape recorders to modern methods of digital signal processing.
|Journal||Ulster Medical Journal|
|Publication status||Published - Oct 1992|
Bibliographical noteReference text: 1. Bennett JT, MacEwen GD. Congenital dislocation of the hip. Recent advances and current
problems. Clin Orthop 1989; 247: 15-21.
2. Burke SW, Macey TI, Roberts JM, Johnston Ill C. Congenital dislocation of the hip in the
American Black. Clin Orthop 1985; 192: 120-3.
3. Crossan JF, Wynne -Davies R. Research for genetic and environmental factors in orthopaedic
diseases. Clin Orthop 1986; 210: 97-105.
4. Ilfeld FW, Westin GW, Makin M. Missed or developmental dislocation of the hip. Clin Orthop
1986; 203: 276-81.
5. Klisic PJ. Congenital dislocation of the hip - a misleading term: brief report. J Bone Joint Surg
1989; 71B: 136.
6. Morrissy RT, Cowie GH. Congenital dislocation of the hip. Clin Orthop 1987; 222: 79 -84.
7. Catford JC, Bennet GC, Wilkinson JA. Congenital hip dislocation: an increasing and still
uncontrolled disability? Br Med J 1982; 285: 1527-30.
8. le Damany P. La luxation congenitale de la hanche. Paris: Felix Alcan, 1912.
9. Ortolani M. Un segno poco noto e sua importanza per la diagnosi precoce di prelussazione
congenita dell'anca. Pediatria 1937; 45: 129-36.
10. Barlow TG. Early diagnosis and treatment of congenital dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg
1962; 44B: 292-301.
11. Cowie GH, Mollan RAB, Kernohan WG, Bogues BA. Vibration emission in detecting congenital
dislocation of the hip. Orthop Rev 1984; 13: 30.5.
12. Cowie GH, Bogues BA, Kernohan WG, Mollan RAB. A new aid in the diagnosis of congenital
dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg 1983; 65B: 656.
13. Kernohan WG, Cowie GH, Patterson CC, Mollan RAB. Discriminating between innocent clicks
and clunks due to dislocation of the neonatal hip. In: Societe Internationale de Recherche
Orthopedique et de Traumatologie, Munich, 1987.
14. Kernohan WG, Cowie GH, Mollan RAB. Vibration arthrometry in congenital dislocation of the hip. Clin Orthop 1991; 272: 167-74.
15. Shaw SN, Kernohan WG, Bogues BA, Mollan RAB. An Apple - based screening aid for congenital dislocation of the hip. Proc Med Microcomput Appl. Liverpool: University Press, 1985: 23*4.
16. Shaw SN, Kernohan WG, Mollan RAB. The development of a screening aid for congenital
dislocation of the hip. In: Technology in health care. Byford GH (ed). Biological Engineering
Society, London, 1985: 107-8.
17. Kernohan WG, Trainor BP, Nugent GEM, Walker PE, Timoney M, Mollan RAB. Low frequency
vibration emitted from unstable hip in human neonate. Clin Orthop (In press).
18. Kernohan WG, Trainor BP, Mollan RAB, Normand CEM. Cost - benefit appraisal of screening for
congenital dislocation of the hip. J Management in Med 1990; 4: 230 - 5.
19. Kernohan WG, Trainor BP, Mollan RAB, Normand CEM. Cost of treatment of congenital
dislocation of the hip. Int J Health Plan Man 1991; 6: 229- 33.
20. Kernohan WG, Patterson CC, Mollan RAB. Discriminant analysis applied to orthopaedics.
In: Applications of Statistics in Medicine, Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, Cardiff